Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Getting burned out?

I think maybe I am getting burned completely out on running. As much as I love it, I am thinking of quitting. I am so tired of fighting the weather, worrying if it is too hot, or too cold, or too windy...waking up sore every morning, thinking and planning the next run, or the next rest day, or worrying about missing a running day, or not completing the proper mileage that day and then feeling guilty. I am right in the middle of one of the most grueling races I have ever faced, and I'm not near enough ready for the 50 mile event! I am ready to throw in the towel, literally.

I am thinking that joining a good gym and just staying in good shape would make more sense. Why do I do this to myself?

After all the negative talk, though, I know I will rest today and come back tomorrow with a new attitude. When it gets right down to it, sometimes when it gets really tough, I tend to want to quit! That's how I felt this morning, just quit and be normal like everybody else.

Or...I could just cut down on all the super miles, and the plans to run 50 miles, and say to heck with it...just find some cute little 5k's and have fun with running, not taking it so seriously, but something inside me won't let me do that. I have to keep challenging myself. So, what happens when I finish the 50 mile race? Will I not be happy with that? Will I have to do a 100 mile race? Lord knows...I don't even know. But, somehow, I know that I will keep on going, and tomorrow, I will be out on the roads again!

No comments: