Thursday, October 16, 2008

Running the Mineral Wells Trailway

This has been an interesting week of running. I started out on Monday wanting to run the trails and cross country course over at Sherrod Park at ACU, however, it had rained the night before, and I didn't want to run in the mud. So, I went to Redbud and ran an easy five miles. Tuesday, I went back to Sherrod Park and ran my hill circuit. It turns out to be a pretty tough run as I made a loop out of the Cross Country course, the trails there, and back out onto the pavement for a run down to Washington street, all the way to Highway 80 and back. It's about 6 miles of nothing but intermittent hills. Wednesday was a rest day.

Thursday was an interesting day, as I ran another 6 mile run down Industrial boulevard, all the way out past the airport and back to my home. Friday, I did a recovery run of four miles, just taking it easy.

Saturday, I got up at 5:00 a.m. and drove to Weatherford, Texas to run the Mineral Wells Trailway, a trail that used to be the railroad tracks from Weatherford to Mineral Wells. It's a 20 mile trail. I ran a 10-mile out and back, and the trail was beautiful and peaceful. I took a 20 oz. bottle of gatorade with me, and it started getting warm right about the midpoint in the run. I ran out of fluids around mile 13, which was not good. I made it back alright, but was thoroughy dehydrated when I was done.

It was a good week, leading up to the Palo Duro Canyon 20k this weekend. I'm looking forward to this run...it should be an adventure.

No comments: